Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Well Worth the While

After learning how to hand engrave precious metal, I quickly discovered that the optimal surface to cut is flat in both directions.  I learned how to cut on the curve and a curve heading both directions, but it was stressful beyond words.  Thus, the seven-sided ring was born, providing seven opportunities to practice layout and improve cutting skills.

I made this ring by first carving a cylindrical wax and then filing seven even sides flat.  After casting, each side was treated as a window pane, with a deep frame cut around each rectangle.  One side shows my monogram, and stylized flowers (there's that botanical theme!) fill the remaining six sides.

Only two additional 14k gold rings like this one were made - one for my Mother - with her monogram and flower choices for each pane, and one for my Mother's best friend.  She chose for her monogram cursive/feminine letters, and her husband's monogram, with more masculine block letters. Her flower choices were symbolic and personal.

When we greet each other over the holidays she reminds me that she wears her ring every day.

The time that I put into these pieces was extensive.  The satisfaction of making something that is beautiful and meaningful, and will be handed down to daughters' daughters is immense... well worth the while.


No comments:

Post a Comment