Sunday, February 1, 2009

Two Queens

When I was young, my parents decided that we should travel instead of buying life insurance.  It was a gamble, but one that provided us with lasting memories and some world knowledge.... and, a life-long love of traveling.

When I was eight we sailed to England on the Queen Elizabeth and sailed home on the Queen Mary.  I still remember swimming in the saltwater pool (for the cabin class travelers), the cinema theatre, and the ability to try new food without fear of being stuck with my selection.  Shuffle board, deck chairs, and getting seasick were also part of this experience.  My experiences of traveling to all corners of Great Britain are another story.  Priceless!

When Annie and I visited California last year, we had the chance to tour the Queen Mary in Long Beach.  What a cool experience remembering times I had on board 47 years ago!  The beautiful Art Deco touches were still there. 

While on board in 1963, I purchased enamel pins of the Queens, which at that time probably cost about $2.50.  While they may be more valuable now, I would never give them up because of the memories they hold.  Why does one pin face one direction and the other face the opposite direction?  One traveled to England, the other traveled home.

No comments:

Post a Comment